Re: [tlug] Geeks and Hackers, Uncle Sam's Cyber Force Wants You!

Jedidiah Israel writes:

 > a) The articles depict the problem as too big for the individual,

Cyberwar is too big for an individual.  No FUD here.

 > and no countermeasures were mentioned.

This is called "focused writing".  Schneier discusses countermeasures
elsewhere on his site, goes into detail in his books.  No FUD here.

 > Just rely on the military/government to fix the issue.

I don't see that in either article.

If there's a consistent thread in Schneier's writing, it's that so far
the Bush administration and the DHS have screwed up badly.  Nor do I
get the impression that he thinks this is a job for the military as a
whole, although special forces backing up intelligence surely play a
role.

The USAF's pitch, on the other hand, is that *you* (ie, the recruiting
target) *can* help, but only if you're part of the team.  Obviously
they're pitching their team, but that's part of the recruiting game, no?

 > b) I do not see them as teaming up. I do feel that the AF is
 > attempting to find a successful way to get recruits to join, and
 > perhaps even do a bait and switch jobs routine.

Sure.  Bait and switch has been a historical practice of the military
recruiter.  Even someone as generally favorable to the military as
Robert Heinlein had his heros suckered by military recruiters on
several occasions.  That ugly side admitted, what's wrong with
recruiting per se?