Re: [tlug] Books

Nick Bikkal wrote:

Can anyone tell me please where I can get some intro books on Linux? Any
suggestions as to which book is good, etc?

As Scott pointed out, when it comes to introductory level texts, distro specificity can make a big difference. There is also a distinction in introductory approach, one example being an approach that centers on a few of the pan-linux basics, such as using Bash and so forth. For this kind of work, I think that the old O'Reilly book _Running Linux_ is still quite useful.

Another approach is that of introducing a series of useful and readily learnable techniques that can be handled by a beginner, which can in turn serve to help you step up to more advanced operations. If, for example, you are using Debian or a Debian-derivative distro, a book like _Knoppix Hacks_ (also from O'Reilly) can introduce you to the power of Debian/Linux (most of which will also apply to Ubuntu) with a wide range of examples that can be easily mastered.

That was the last Linux book I bought, because at this point there is almost no problem that I can't resolve either through TLUG, or a distro/application specific listserv, and Google.

Regards,

Chuck

A. Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University