[tlug] Archiving TLUG list on MarkMail

Hi Everyone.

I am posting this to both list to make sure everyone has a fair chance
to see it.

Alain Hoang has proposed we archive the main TLUG list on MarkMail[1].
This sounds like a good idea, but before we do this, I would like to
give everyone a chance to comment.

MarkMail is an advanced email archiving services that recognizes the
structure of email content and allows you to make searches based on the
email structure. MarkMail has the following features - from their FAQ[2]

    * MarkMail lets you search millions of emails across thousands of
    mailing lists
    * Search using keywords as well as from:, subject:, extension:, and
    list: constraints
    * The GUI doesn't yet expose it, but you can negate any search item,
    like -subject:jira.
    * Subdomains are list constraining, so tomcat.markmail.org searches
    tomcat lists
    * Use "n" and "p" keyboard shortcuts to navigate the search results

It does however require email addresses to be human accessible as
described bellow.

    We've designed MarkMail to protect it from email address harvesting.
    Every email address we display gets obfuscated. Your address, for
    example, would be shown as emi...@example.com We make the ... text
    into a link that pops up a captcha when clicked. If you solve the
    captcha, you can get the email address for that mail (and that mail
    only). We use reCAPTCHA from Carnegie Mellon, one of the very
    strongest captcha systems out there. We obfuscate email addresses
    even when they're in message bodies.

    We like this design because it lets humans connect to each other and
    lets readers see the domains of the senders (which can be valuable)
    while blocking automated address harvesting.

According to their content policy they will not guarantee to remove
inappropriate content[3]. Obviously archiving on MarkMail is likely to
increase the exposure of anything posted to the list.

What do people think?

Edward

1. http://markmail.org/
2. http://markmail.org/docs/faq.xqy