Re: [tlug] Raid5 box & backup

Thanks Curt,

Curt Sampson wrote:
> The first thing you need to ask yourself is, is this for the purposes
> of back-up, or do you need to use either or both (local and remote) of
> these as file systems.

Normally, these filesystems should never be accessed remotely (except of
course in case of failure). Even if there were a need of access, it
would be mainly to rebuild the original disk. But to answer more exactly
to your question: Yes, the remote access is necessary as a file system,
before the rebuilt, which could take weeks...

> If it's just for backup, you should probably do what we do at Starling:
> give everyone their own machine with an appropriately encrypted disk,
> use a backup script that encrypts the data (we use PGP) before it leaves
> the box and sends it to the local backup server, and then just rsync the
> local and remote servers.

Good idea, but my plan was to use the disk "as-is", on a day to day
basis. Using it as a "encrypted buffer" before replication is not really
the target...

> Failing that, for filesystem access probably the most reasonable way
> to deal with it is to use one of the drivers that exports what's
> essentially a raw set of blocks across the network, such as iSCSI or
> ATA-over-ethernet, and have your personal host place an encrypted
> file system on that. But then you have to deal with the issue of
> replicating it, which can probably be done with rsync if you replicate
> unidirectionally, but likely can't be done at all bidirectionally.

If replication is based on files/directories (instead of filesystem), I
think the direction does not matter any more, does it?

> You also want to figure out what level of security you really need here.
> As usual when rolling your own system, it's easy to mess up and be a lot
> more inscecure than you'd hoped. If you don't want folks in France to
> have access to you data because, say, you're intending to keep client
> data on there and you'd be facing civil or criminal liability should
> something happen, you'll want to get your system reviewed by an expert.

Hummm... Security is mandatory, obviously. I could have all my passwords
somewhere in a file for instance. But I don't need more security than I
have today (my important files are encrypted - I just want a whole tree
to go the same way, without special intervention to access it).

Regards,

Bruno.