[tlug] Raid5 box & backup

Hi,

I saw that some manufacturers (Buffalo, IO-Data, Lacie...) sell raid-5
NAS devices, and I think to acquire one soon. In fact two, let me explain.

My plan is to have one box at home (Tokyo), and one in Brittany, France,
in my parent's home.

What I would like to have, is a tree looking like that:
- me
  - public
  - my private
  - my wife private
  - our private
- my father
  - public
  - private (possibly also 2-3 different private sections)

As you probably understand, I will sync "me" to Brittany's array, and my
father will sync "my father" part to mine.
Also, the "private" parts should not be readable by the other part (I
mean they should be encrypted). I should not be able to read my wife
private tree, for instance. As well, my father should not be able to
read any of our private trees, even if he has hardware access to the box
and full admin rights on his computer.

I have some questions about this setup, if you have some hints:

1) I am using both Linux & MacOS here in Tokyo. Do you know a method to
share part of a disk locally with encrypted data, that both computers
would understand?

2) Do you have any advice on which hardware to choose? Buffalo looks
good and cheap, and it seems possible to "hack" it; I mean it has a
Linux kernel, and possibly the box could copy itself to the other side
of the Earth without help from another computer. That would be perfect,
obviously. I did not find much information about the IO-Data solution,
most being in Japanese only...

My feeling is that some loopback file could achieve the crypt issue (at
least for Linux). But it mean that the size must be decided first, I
guess. This is not ideal, as you can understand...

Any clue on where I should start from? And if you think my plan is
do-able at all?

Thanks,

Bruno.