Re: [tlug] OT: Beer

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 07:46:47PM +0900, Dave Brown wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 May 2008, Dave Brown wrote:
> >
> > Actually, this has gotten to be a real problem in my professional life.
> > For the past many years, I have been avoiding top-posting like the
> > plague.  About a year or two ago, I started getting complaints at work
> > from lots of different people telling me that my emails were confusing
> > and hard to read.

I figure that in a business context, it can often make sense.  Jane
writes an email, saying, I'm doing this and sends it to Carole and Bob.
Bob is the boss and says, I approve and sends it to his boss.  In this
case, his boss sees that Bob's already approved it, so just does a quick
scan of the proposal.  Whereas, if he, being very busy, didn't see Bob's
approval till the end, it probably is inconvenient.

> And in my personal life!  Once I replied to an email from a Nice Young
> Lady in, y'know, the *normal* way, and she responded "Wow!  I love how
> you broke my email up into little bits and replied to each bit
> individually!  It's so creative and thoughtful!"
>
> And then I hung my head in shame for the human race.

Is that really a true story?  It sounds like an urban legend.

Oddly enough, top posting has become a hot topic on two other Linux
lists that I frequent, all in the same time period.  (That is, it's
become a topic at the same time, I can always frequent them at the same
time and that's not worth mentioning.)  :)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: I did a couple of slayers in my time. I don't like to
brag. Who am I kidding? I love to brag. One time, during the
Boxer Rebellion...