Re: [tlug] OT: interesting NY times article:High-Tech Japanese, Running Out of Engineers

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 > There was a huge ongoing debate over whether to allow Korean,
 > Chinese, and Taiwanese engineers (we were working on a tieup with
 > an Indian company already) to work at the headquarters as it was
 > feared that they'd copy everything and do it cheaper when they went
 > home.

It's funny that the Japanese would fear that, since it's what they did
so well.  It's sad that on the whole they decided (as many <insert
non-Japanese ethnicity du jour here> will tell you) to act on their
fears and keep the foreigners as far away from sensitive technology as
possible.

Which "sensitive technology" are you referring to. My understanding of Japanese export controls was that they don't even require permanent residence to have access to controlled technology. I don't think the issue is so much ethnicity as much as where the non-Japanese person holds citizenship. If you hold citizenship in a country were export controls apply (e.g. a communist country) or one in which industrial espionage is not really prosecutable, I would image you would have problems.

Edward