Re: [tlug] EPSON LP-S5000 on Fedora 9

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Jagath Weerasinghe <jagfoss@example.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Have you configured EPSON LP-S5000 printer in Fedora 9.
> If you have done it could you please help me?
> I am not sure whether proper drivers are available.

I have configured an Epson LP-S700 in Ubuntu for which there was no
driver available.  But epson provides some drivers so I could use
those.

Below is a record of what I did to make things work.  If you use
fedora you might find a rpm package directly on the avasys homepage.
If not, then try your luck with my record, but you probably don't need
to fiddle with app-armor if fedora doesn't use it.

Hope this helps,

Evan

Ubuntu 7.10

go to http://www.avasys.jp/lx-bin2/linux/laser/DL1.do, find printer
driver, download file Epson-LPS7000-filter-1.0.tar.gz

$ cd ~/tmp
$ tar xvzf Epson-LPS7000-filter-1.0.tar.gz
$ cd Epson-LPS7000-filter-1.0
$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install

Use web interface, install printer and try to print.  Doesn't work.
Activate debugging in cups log files.  Refer to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingPrintingProblems

=> app-armor seems to be making problems

edit /etc/apparmor.d/usr.sbin.cupsd

add the following two lines somewhere that looks ok.

  # third-party driver -- Evan 2008-04-11 10:37
  /usr/local/bin/pstolps7000.sh Ux,

reload apparmor

$ sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor reload

It complains, edit again the previous file until it is ok.  Print test
page.  Look at logs.  Some arithmetic problem.

In /usr/local/bin/pstolps7000.sh replace things like $((Copies)) by
$(($Copies)), same for $((numcopies -1)) and $((page +1)) to
$(($numcopies -1)) and $(($page +1))

Print test page.  Ok.