Re: [tlug] Fedora forum slowdown...

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 06:28 -0700, SL Baur wrote:

> I'm running Fedora 9 on my work notebook.  It is semi-usable, but has
> serious
> issues if stability is your priority (as it is mine) and usability of
> of the ATI/NVidea
> proprietary drivers.  Update from the last beta prior to release
> failed utterly.

I spent most of the day installing F9 and will probably spend tomorrow
going back to F8. While it mostly works, there are problems as you say.
The worst for me is that since F8 the xorg-x11-drv-ati (for older ATI
Radeon cards) has been busted and I was using the last update of the
f7 driver in F8... For F9 I had to pull the Radeon and use the
onboard Intel 815, which is total carp! Screen redraws, even at a
reduced colour depth, are a nightmare and none of the media players
will play DVDs, they all crash with 'insufficient resources' errors.

As you can imagine, my machine is ancient, getting on for 8 years,
or maybe more, with no chance of being able to purchase something
more up-to-date in the foreseeable future :(

> Sadly, I've encountered worse things than wading through doggie
> doodoo.
> Probably worst was when I get it on my clothing carrying my dog away
> from
> the no-no zone. Children are bad at getting into things they
> shouldn't, dogs are
> worse ...

Umm, perhaps I should have said moggie doodoo as I much prefer cats.
:)

Wayne