Re: [tlug] ubuntu 8.04: firefox 3 beta 5 and 2.0.014 bookmark disaster

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 5:07 PM, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
> Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any pointers on how to get FF to read such a file, or
>> would the fastest course of action be to write a script that generates
>> a feasible bookmarks file from the JSON one?
>
> Would it be possible to save the file in .html?  That is what FF wants.
>  Alternatively, and this seems like it would be a lot of work initially, but
> less than starting over ... what about cutting and pasting into the
> "Organize Bookmarks" page and then dragging your subdirectories into
> position?

Thanks, it appears that yes, exporting in HTML would allow one to
import "Bookmarks" and thereby add to an existing set of bookmarks.
However, I only had the JSON file, all the backup .html files were at
their defaults again (all 5 or 6 automatic backups too).

> You have my sympathies.  FF3 betas have been an ongoing disaster for me.
>  Almost nothing I used in 2.0.0.14 transferred or updated.  Eventually, I
> went back to the earlier number.

I don't quite know where the problem occurred, but I can say that it
is confusing to have both FF2 and FF3 installed by Ubuntu 8.04.

I solved the problem by "restoring" bookmarks in FF3. This replaced
complately any existing bookmark set, so it has to be done from a new
login account in my case---no way was I going to play with
ProfileManager again at this stage! I tried this under Debian at home,
and feel confident it will work at my workplace tomorrow too.

I too would advise to stick to 2.0.0.14 until the production release
of 3.0 is out.

Regards, Gernot