Re: [tlug] [off topic] religion and the internet in Japan

2008/5/11 Christian Horn <chorn@example.com>:
> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 08:47:08PM +0900, shawn wrote:
>  >
>  > To me it kinda seemed like a logical grouping -- "reading that I don't
>  > need" (especially as the HOWTO was for Windows).  I guess for others it
>  > might be critical stuff, and I am all religious about freedom of choice.
>  >
>  > It just made me laugh to see them together.
>
>  Nice sensed, if they provide working internet-equipment (chances
>  are bad for that in low budget hotels of course) then the bible
>  would even be redundant because accessable from the internet.

All the "low budget" hotels ("business hotels")  I've stayed in in
Japan in recent years (including the Toyoko chain) have always had
very good internet connectivity. Except for one in Kanazawa, where
upon complaining at reception and going through the usual diagonisis
("did I have the computer switched on?" etc.), they asked which room I
was in and then it was a case of "oh, the internet is broken in that
room", so they gave me another one.

Anyway, not everyone will have their own PC with them, and even if
they did, I know in my case if I was up for some religious perusal I'd
rather do it curled up in bed with an old-fashioned book, though as I
have yet to encounter any tracts from the Chuch of the Flying
Spaghetti Monster, that hasn't yet happened, and being forced back
onto the internet by the lack of reading material I was recently
tempted by a contemporary Bible translation (cf.
http://www.lolcatbible.com/index.php?title=Genesis_1 ).

Ian Barwick