Re: [tlug] Fun with Kubuntu 8.04

Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 11:22 AM, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
>> Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

> /../
>
>> First, it appears that part of the problem was that "Default" means that
>> /all/ alternatives to the main language are removed.  I had to specify Anthy
>> and then 日本語 began to happen.  Except I am having problems turning it on and
>> off.
>
> Are you doing this by selecting graphically in the UIM toolbar? Once
> done it should remain: if you have set your UIM preferences (right
> click?) to option "global" or "Desktop" or some such wording.

Right now, only selecting graphically with a mouse on the toolbar works
reliably.

I had _intended_ to switch back and forth from the keyboard like you can
with "L SHFT" + "L Alt" in WIN IME.  Actually, if I can capture the same
key combination (haven't tried so don't know, yet ... added to "to try"
list) it would make my personal transition to full-time Kubuntu-ing all
the more painless.

> My default for changing from direct to kanji is "Shift+Space" which,
> yes, I also press a lot while trying to type non-Japanese (even
> happened in this sentence). I don't know what Ctrl+Space is set up as,
> but I seem to recall that if your input method is Direct, then nothing
> happens: the input method must be Canna or Scim or Anthy for the
> change from "direct keyboard" to "keyboard combinations into kana" to
> have an effect. I have no idea what combination you are pressing to
> change the input method, I have only ever done that in the toolbar
> with the mouse... Ctrl+Space does nothing for me. Maybe look at the
> settings under the UIM preferences.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll make that change in the UIM setup and see what
happens.

>> Which brings us neatly to the next problem ... how do you disconnect the
>> toolbar from the panel so it floats?
>
> No idea, but that would doubtless be controlled by your window manager
> and desktop manager.

I have been looking for the secret Masonic handshake and can't seem to
find it, either.  I'm sort of hoping Clemens will jump back in here as
he was the one who suggested that it could be made to float.  If not,
I'm going to have to RTFM ... as soon as I determine which M is the
correct one.

--
CL