[tlug] Cleaning up the boot process

Dave M G writes:

 > So my question is, where can I get the output of what happens during the
 > boot process so I can start to identify any errors?

You want the utility "dmesg" for starters (early boot when the kernel
is initializing itself and the devices), but a lot of the messages are
usually logged in various places in /var/log.  Try the "kernel" and
"daemons" logs, and as a last resort maybe "messages" or "syslog"
(start with a ls -s and do the shorter ones first ;-).