Re: [tlug] No underscore key for me anymore

On Monday 05 May 2008 19:51:22 Dave M G wrote:
> After upgrading to Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04) on my laptop, I get the
> following error every time I boot up:
<SNIP>

What is in the InputDevice sections of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file?  For
comparison, here is an example:

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier  "Japanese Keyboard"
  Driver    "kbd"
  Option    "CoreKeyboard"
  Option    "XkbRules"  "xorg"
  Option    "XkbModel"  "jp106"
  Option    "XkbLayout" "jp,jp"
  Option    "XkbVariant"  "latin,"
  Option    "XkbOptions"  "grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll"
EndSection

Note that the identifier string is arbitrary; it is just used in the
ServerLayout section.

At what point do you receive the error message?  If it is after the window
manager loads, it may indicate a problem with the window manager keyboard
settings, which override the xorg.conf settings.  Note that, though it is
probably not the cause of your problem (since it would not produce such an
error), most underscore problems are caused by specifying a 104 key keyboard
instead of a 106 key keyboard.

> I really hope it's not an indication of failing hardware. I did get this
> laptop used, so that possibility looms on the horizon. I'd like to
> exhaust the software bug possibility before I depress myself with
> potential keyboard changes or laptop replacement costs.

The probability is *very* high that this is a software issue, not a hardware
one.

Cheers,

Travis