Re: [tlug] Bill Gates and the GPL , let the flames begin

On Monday 05 May 2008 05:59, Curt Sampson wrote:
>On 2008-04-29 09:24 -0500 (Tue), Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
>> I don't really see what the difference is between a 10 line program
>> and a multi-million line program.
>
>Well, this one fortunately is relatively easy to find. out. Write a
>ten line program, write a ten thousand line program, and look at the
>difference. It's something like a thousand times that.

Yes, obviously there is a different amount of work involved. But what
difference does that make when it comes to licenses of libraries? If
you don't want to GPL your 10-line program, then simply exclude GPL
libraries from consideration for inclusion. Same for the multi-million
line program. At a not terribly abstract level i think writing a 10
line program versus a million line program and including someone else's
library is the same thing. The only difference is a matter of scale,
and that is not a philosophically significant difference.

>D) Writes software when not paid by others and gives it away, and
>    D1) makes primary living from other than writing software
>    D2) makes primary living from writing software

I'd say i fall into D2. I don't have much software i've written that is
worth distributing very widely and have never bothered to set up a web
repository of what i've written. I give small programs and
documentation away to people who can benefit from it though. All my
software is GPL 2, though i'd certainly consider BSD licensing for
something if asked by someone wanting to use my code. Setting up a web
page with all my code and documentation is on my Projects List, but not
being someone who gets too excited about web development, it hasn't
happened yet.

About half of my job is writing and maintaining software, usually GPL
code that we've developed internally or downloaded and put into
production (with or without modifications--in the case of modifications
i always send those back to the upstream maintainer). For my purposes,
both professionally and personally, GPL works best. I'm quite happy
with BSD licensing too and unlike the more rabid GPL fanatics don't
consider it a moral crime to use a license other than GPL. I'm more
likely to contribute code to a GPL project though, knowing that some
commercial entity can't take it without contributing back their
changes. Sure, the original code would still be free, but if it becomes
abandonware it won't be useful after a few years when the software
world moves on. If code is still worth using at all, i'd rather
maintenance of it be contractually enforced on those wanting to keep
using it.