Re: [tlug] A question for Ubuntu 8.0.4 folks

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 6:50 AM, SL Baur <steve@example.com> wrote:
> On 5/4/08, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
>

> >  I am running a Mitsubishi desktop flatscreen (RDT1712V) that maxes at
>  > 1280x1024x75 but the Catalyst Control Center has identified it correctly and
>  > says that it _can_ apply 1400x1050x60 if I ask.  I haven't.
>
>  Good deal.  I guess I'm going to have to try this, .deb/apt and all :-(.
>  Thanks for the info.

EXCEPT ... I just learned another Valuable Lesson (tm).  When I
reinstalled Kubuntu, I downloaded the KDE 4.0 desktop and all of the
4.0 versions of a bunch of utility programs.  When I rebooted, the
login screen had changed and I was asked whether I wanted KDM or KDM-4
to run my desktop.  I chose the latter and have been chugging along
thinking I was using KDE 4.0.  After our recent exchange, I had to
restart the desktop for another program and had one of those "I wonder
what this pull down menu does" moments at the login screen.  So, I
pulled down the menu and saw that I had a choice of "Do what you did
last time all over again," KDE, KDE4, and Other.

So, thinking I was already using KDE 4, I selected it ... and got
something that ain't at all ready for Prime Time.

What a POS.

I _think_ that you have to reinstall all of the drivers in 4.0 and
that none of what you did in 3.5 gets ported over.  And, having
realized that, I thought I'd just sneak back over to KDE and pretend
nothing had happened ... except, the 4.0 desktop has reset my screen
resolution to 640x480x60 VESA and I can't reach the "Save" buttons to
change the resolution in ATI Catalyst Control Center.  So, I ignored
my advice to you and changed the settings in System Settings ... with
the same result as before.  Xorg.conf blew up and isn't happy with the
fix it recommended.

Hell, it looks as though it's going to rain anyway.  Maybe I'll
install KDE 4.0 and just try to start working with it ... although
whoever designed the interface needs to let us know which combination
of drugs caused them to finalize the "design" (sic) the way they did.
That way some of their "ideas" might begin to make sense.

The main menu looks like something from Microsoft on peyote.

--
CL