[tlug] silly question on subversion

Hi all,

Since I have no major projects running software-wise, and am only
trying to keep my documents in subversion, I have a very simple tree:
a root directory, and a subdirectory for each "document" (which may
contain many files needed to compile it, and subdirs for images,
etc.). However, I seem to be misunderstanding something about how SVN
works, when I try to put more than one project under the SVN root
directory.

Here is my normal set of operations with a single project

When I do something like

mkdir svnroot
svnadmin create svnroot/project1

then I get I subdir for a project1 under my svnroot directory.

Now I create the project itself in some directory:

mkdir project1
touch project1/file1

And import it into svn with

svn import -m "importing project1" project1
svn+ssh://gernot@example.com/home/gernot/svnroot/project1

Enter SSH passord twice and it is done.

Then I do

rm -rf project1

and at last am ready to work from the SVN repository:

svn checkout svn+ssh://gernot@example.com/home/gernot/svnroot/project1

Enter SSH password twice and my checked out project1 directory appears for me.

I edit, change file1 and then commit changes with

svn commit -m "changes done"

Then I can do rm -rf project1 again to end off the session.

If I do another checkout, I see "revision 1" checked out after the
first changes.

(In reality, I intend to do all the necessary operation using psvn
mode in Emacs and/or in a make file for my document compilation, as
appropriate)

Now, what about adding another project?

I repeat the above for project2, but when I check it out, I get
revision 2 ! Any change I make to *either* of project1 or project2
increments the revision number for whichever one I check out. This
confuses me, despite reading several howto's and glancing through the
subversion (v1.4) book. Any pointers? As a workaround I can of course
create new svnroot directories all over my filesystem but I don't want
to do that when it is more than likely that I have simply missed
something important in my reading.

Cheers, Gernot