Re: [tlug] Multiple Domains - Apache

On 2008-04-30 23:20 +0900 (Wed), tlug@example.com wrote:

> Some people have suggested the use of ServerAlias. Note, however, that
> this causes the same content to be served for both addresses, not
> a redirect, which is what you said that you want (and is usually a
> better practice).

Actually, this is an *extremely* *bad* practice.

This is not not my opinion, exactly, but Google's. I found this out
after we entirely vanished from their search engine results when we had
starling-software.com and www.starling-software.com returning the same
content. We changed the former to redirect to the latter, and we're back
to having the top two results for that search term.

(Well, to tell the truth, it could also be related to having
starlingsoftware.com and its www returning the same contents as well,
but regardless, I've sworn to use redirects now and forever.)

cjs