Re: [tlug] Bill Gates and the GPL , let the flames begin

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 02:54:16 -0700
"SL Baur" <steve@example.com> wrote:

> In the United States, such a license already exists, it's called
> "Public Domain".
>
> Switching back to serious mode, what would it take for an
> international license to be the equivalent of US Public Domain -
> "Do what the fuck you want to" everywhere?

Exactly the above text. In international law, there is no
such thing as public domain, because in most countries you
are not allowed to give up the authorship of some work
(the law just doesn't include this case). But you are allowed
to give everyone the right to do whatever they want with your
work.

<sidenote>
In German and French and probably other languages/countries too, it's
not _copy_right law, but _author_rights law. Ie it's not
about defining when and how you are allowed to copy the work but
what the rights of the author/creator on his work are.
</sidenote>

			Attila Kinali
                         -- Deed of Morred