Re: [tlug] Bill Gates and the GPL , let the flames begin

On Monday 28 April 2008 20:52, Curt Sampson wrote:
>If I happen to have spent a lot of time and effort writing, say, an
>office suite, and I link the few-thousand-line readline library with
> my millions of lines of code, I then have to give away all my code
> (which the readline authors had nothing to do with writing) and its
> build system to everyone, for free, in perpetuity. Ouch.

If i write a 10 line program and link it to the few-thousand readline
library, i have to release my program as open source, right? I don't
really see what the difference is between a 10 line program and a
multi-million line program. If there is a difference, what is it, and
where is the cut-off point between a small and large program? Is it at
1 000 lines? Or 10 000 lines? Or 100 000 lines? If you don't like the
licensing terms on the readline library, find a different library to
use. Or just write a library yourself.