Re: [tlug] Bill Gates and the GPL , let the flames begin

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:52:24 +0900, Curt Sampson
<cjs@example.com> wrote:

> If I happen to have spent a lot of time and effort writing, say, an
> office suite, and I link the few-thousand-line readline library with my
> millions of lines of code, I then have to give away all my code (which
> the readline authors had nothing to do with writing) and its build
> system to everyone, for free, in perpetuity. Ouch.

By the proportions in play alone this is a bad example.

If you've just spent ages writing millions of lines of code, what's the big
deal with writing another couple of thousand to have a library functionally
equivalent to readline that doesn't force you to release the whole
enchilada?

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Honk if you hate bumper stickers that say "Honk if ..."