Re: [tlug] "VDSL" modem thingy? Linux and internet password?

Hi Dave,

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Dave M G <dave@example.com> wrote:
>  I don't want this person to have to go back to Windows just because of this
> silly connection issue. I hope it's possible to get it set up.

Don't worry, she won't have to go back to Windows. It's definitely
possible to set Ubuntu up.

>  Question 1: How does one get a Ubuntu (and/or Linux in general) to connect
> to the internet in such a circumstance, where the connection is direct to
> the ADSL/Cable modem thingy?

I have very limited experience with Internet connections in Japan but
I imagine you need to configure her laptop to use PPPoE. There is some
information about how to do this on the net[1]. The username and
password provided probably need to be plugged in there.

>  Question 2: Would it be potentially easier to just get a router to put
> between the computer and the modem thingy?

I think this is a good idea, though not necessary.

Hang in there, I'm sure those more experienced veterans will chime in
with more detailed solutions too :)

Mike

[1] http://www.google.co.jp/search?q=ubuntu+pppoe