[tlug] Adept Manager Dead to the World (Kubuntu-8.04)

I did two installs of Kubuntu 8.04 off of the same (DVD) disk.  One in
English, where Adept Manager is working as it should - and one in
Japanese, where Adept Manager will only show the packages already
installed, but will not connect with the various packages awaiting out
there in Kubuntu servers and needed in here in my apartment.

The machine with the dead-to-the-world Adept Manager has all the same
settings (that I can see) as the one that is functioning.  It connects
to the Internet and displays website pages with no problem via
Konqueror, so general connectivity isn't the issue....

Any idea what's wrong?  That machine is nearly worthless to me if I
can't get the packages I want installed.

Lyle