Re: [tlug] [OT] Harajuku redux - The day Hachiko cried

Gen Kanai wrote:

On Apr 25, 2008, at 5:27 PM, SL Baur wrote:

On 4/25/08, Ian Barwick <barwick@example.com> wrote:

Tsk tsk, it's a shrine, not a temple ;).

http://www.meijijingu.or.jp/english/

Oh, sorry about that. I always get those mixed up.

All those monotheistic religions, I get all of those mixed up myself.

Huh? I suppose this is about whether a religious edifice belongs to Buddhism or Shinto, which has nothing in (actual) English to do with whether it's a "temple" or a "shrine", since that isn't what the English words mean, but Shinto has a more or less unlimited number of (quasi-)deities, and Buddhism has (iiuiac) none, so there aren't many of the ones that get worked up about their different one true gods in sight. (Parse carefully)

Brian Chandler