Re: [tlug] Kana-Problems

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 07:30:30PM -0400, Joe Larabell wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Josh Glover wrote:
>
> >On 21/04/2008, Niels Kobschaetzki <n.kobschaetzki@example.com> wrote:
> >

> It sounds as if Niels is referring to the kind of "updates" that, for instance,
> RedHat does within a single release -- where you can pretty much be sure
> nothing major will break without having to check everything out yourself. He
> *did* say "as long as I don't do a distribution-upgrade".

Yes, or CentOS.  But NOT Fedora, where every yum -y update (which is, go
head, this is a test machine) is an adventure.  Especially right now,
with Rawhide, but that, of course, is asking for trouble.

> reasons I switched to Gentoo was because I didn't like having my system slowly
> drift away from the bleeding edge and having to re-install from CD/FTP every
> couple years in order to keep up with the times.

Yes, I know that feeling too.  With servers, I'm ready to leave it at
that, with my desktop, I try to keep up to date, but again, within
reason. If Niels looks on the BSD lists or forums, you'll see that the
gurus all recommend against portupdate -a (all ports.)

> But, you have to admit, that bleeding edge has a price. I keep "system"
> my installation (note, this is a personal desktop machine so while the borkage
> was a PITA, it was hardly a critical goof).

I think most of us have been there, done that, and of course, gotten the
tshirt.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Giles: I'll have you know that I have very, um, many
relaxing hobbies.
Buffy: Such as?
Giles: Well, um...I enjoy cross-referencing.
Buffy: Do you stuff your own shirts or do you send 'em out?