Re: [tlug] Kana-Problems

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 4:36 AM, Nguyen Vu Hung
<vuhung16plus+shape@example.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > Niels Kobschaetzki writes:
>  >
>  >  > I got my system updated in the last days and suddenly I have a
>  >  > strange problem.
>  >
>  > Sudden, yes, strange, no.  "Don't fix what ain't broke" unless you
>  > have the inclination to unbreak the fix.
>  >
>  A good point for debugging.

I like my desktop-system up to date and I have not the time to follow
the changelogs of the 1000+ ports I have installed right now to check
if it is necessary to install updates. I expect a useful result from
an update and as long as I don't do a distribution-upgrade (that's
what it called on Ubuntu, don't know the right term for FreeBSD) I do
not really expect an update of ports to break my system. Therefore I
update it regularly (and usually as automatic as possible).
How do you keep track of all the stuff you have installed on your
system (and if an update brings a new feature you would like to have -
not only security stuff)? RSS-feeds for every single project you have
an application from installed?

>  >  > I did a fc-cache -f but that gave me only the situation described
>  >  > above, before there were only boxes. A hyphen is substituded by
>  >  > some random Hangeul-syllable.
>  To the OP:
>  I would rewind the system to the last-good configuration.
>  Add the new fonts, one by one into my $HOME/.fonts and run fc-cache,
>  then test if the new installed font is functioning well.

Problem is already solved (at least it works again) as I wrote three
days ago: I deleted a port (fonts/webfonts I think) and now everything
works again. Don't know why it didn't work after the update but the
deletion of webfonts fixed it for me. All other true-type-fonts (like
some often mentioned unicode-font) are still on the system and working
(but doesn't give the result I want).

Niels