Re: [tlug] Linux distro!: Centos is RHEL

On 4/20/08, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

>  I think Gentoo will make most of your Linux dreams come true, as it is
>  quite easy to maintain a Steve/Linux distro, Gentoo being a
>  meta-distro.
>
>  The only downside is compile times, but I have not really been
>  bothered by that even on my Pentium Mobile 800MHz Dell laptop. I don't
>  compile things like Firefox, OpenOffice, Thunderbird, and Eclipse, and
>  everything else compiles in a reasonable (to me, at least) amount of
>  time.
>
>  Ask Steve T. what he thinks of Gentoo.

He's told me a bit about it.  I admit to being intrigued.  It
wasn't what I thought it was.  Something like that might
well be where I want to go in the long term, however I'm
not intimidated regarding using an RPM-based distro
that way.  Turbolinux 7 was first running on my Alpha
workstation (except for the installer and then they cancelled
Alpha support :-( ).

I've decided I'm going to try a Live CD first to make sure that
the WiFi support is there and the iwlwifi driver in 2.6.25 works
quite well.  So I guess at this point, the final three candidates
are Open Suse 11, Fedora Core 9 and Momonga.

Fedora Core is preferable for compatibility reasons, I'll
still have to deal with RHEL 4 user land at times, either dual
boot or virtualized, but I think they've disqualified themselves
by only providing BitTorrent downloads for the next little
bit and I refuse to go there, or at least answer any questions
as to why I'm BitTorrenting something at work.

Nice review though, you win the runner-up prize.  :-)

-sb