Re: [tlug] Kernel panic

On 4/19/08, Brian Chandler <brian@example.com> wrote:

>  Anyway, the boot message I am getting says "... unable to mount root fs on
> unknown block (0,0)." If I boot from the cdrom I can see the files and stuff
> in /dev/sda1, which I believe is (hd0,0) in grub, and the relevant lines
> from the grub menu.lst file are as follows:

>  Meanwhile, I would be grateful for advice, *particularly* from non-gurus

Apologies in advance then ...

I saw that message yesterday when I was recovering my Lenovo after a kernel
upgrade that went bad.  The root cause was an out of date initrd (which your
grub.conf shows you are using).  Do an ls -l on your kernel, the modules
(somewhere under /lib/modules, I think?  I don't know where Debian puts
their modules) and the initrd.  If the initrd is older than your
modules and kernel
then you will need to run mkinitrd.

If the initrd is out of date, then as root do
mkinitrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic 2.6.22-14-generic

Check the mkinitrd man page for the exact details as it may vary.

-sb