Re: [tlug] Contest - Name that Linux distro!

Scott Robbins wrote:
Well, don't use Xandros then. Apparently, it's Japanese language
support is poor, which is a bit surprising, considering it's Debian
based. (I'm going by hearsay though.)
I'm not going by hearsay. Xandros clucks and flies like a genuine turkey. I paid the US$100 for Xandros 4.1 Pro to find out that Japanese support is nonexistent and the packages being offered are dated 2001 or 2002. Scim-Anthy was about v.0.3 on the Xandros package download site as recently as last November.

Xandros' "Asian" programmers are all Mainland Chinese who don't give a rat's backside about other CJK implementations, including anything other than the PRC version of the written language. I see a lot of complaints about Traditional Chinese (Taiwanese) implementation failing constantly as well.

When people get together on the Xandros User's Help (sic) site to bitch about no Japanese support, Vine Linux is most often offered as the best solution for E<->J use by native Japanese Xandros users. A couple of them dual-boot it with Xandros. I've downloaded and burned about six successive Vine Linux .isos but have never actually gotten around to awarding one of the empty partitions on my Linux testing HDD to it ... yet.

--
CL