Re: [tlug] Kernel panic

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
Attila Kinali writes:

 > Err... The inability to understand the system one is working
 > with is no excuse to give very dangerouse advices.
 > Updates _are_absolutely_necessary_ to keep your system safe.

Eh?

First, neither the OP nor the people he is quoting are distinguishing
between *security updates* and *major system upgrades*, and the OP at
least is clearly in a context of the latter.

Well, I'm the OP, and I'm sure I'm not as clear as that. A little Ubuntubox popped up and said "Updates? You want updates?" so I clicked it. I have no idea quite what updates these were - not a new kernel or anything like that (afaik), not specifically Important Security Updates.

But the end result is that the system is dead. I understand that in trying to boot itself Linux can't find the whateveritis on the hard disk, and that if I were a guru I could go looking around files (somewhere?) and recognise the problem. But I'm not - I have not customised anything, so I have no idea where to start. Actually if I could simply reinstall Ubuntu I would be happy, but I can't see how to do that even. The CD I can boot from offers only "Install", which starts off by making partitions (which I surely don't want to do?) or "Recover broken system", which just drops me in a shell with no idea what to do.

I can't imagine that reinstalling from scratch would take more than an hour of my time, if I could find out how to do it. Can someone please help me?

TIA
Brian Chandler