[tlug] Kernel panic

Hmm, well, here I am, innocent (in all senses) user of Ubuntu, and it says "Click here to install updates". What a good idea, I think, and click. Kersplut, crash.

Now booting produces the "kernel panic-not syncing: VFS: unable to mount..." message which I gather from googling is "common" and (perhaps) "something to do with the grub bootloader". I also find the opinion that it's better not to do updates (??)

I try to do what in the olden days was called "reinstalling Windows", and insert the Ubuntu CD - there doesn't seem to be anything called "reinstall", only a completely new install, or something called "recover damaged system". I tried this, but in the end all I can get is a shell, where I can see a file system, but have no idea what the problem is.

So I don't know what to do next. Suggestions please, on where to start.

Brian Chandler