Re: [tlug] Ping vs www server

Josh Glover wrote:
On 18/04/2008, Edward Middleton <emiddleton@example.com> wrote:

Josh Glover wrote:

Again, trade-offs where my calculation and yours differ. As long as we
both have made the calculation, I see no problem here.
The problem is that this sort of thing tends to characterizes a trade-off
made between a network security administrators interests rather then the
companies interests as a whole. It goes along with block everything
approaches to email and web access.

I don't quite understand what you are advocating,

I am advocating the network security administrators look at the cost to the company as a whole of implementing and ongoing cost resulting from security measures, and balance that with the improved security achieved.

nor do I understand
why dropping echo requests is against the company's interests as a
whole.

Can you clarify?

Death by a thousand small cuts. The reason for not doing this is that it adds unnecessary complexity to your configuration for minuscule improvement in security.

Edward