Re: [tlug] Ping vs www server

Josh Glover wrote:
On 18/04/2008, SL Baur <steve@example.com> wrote:

On 4/17/08, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

 > Yes, I do. I consider turning off ICMP a good tradeoff,

It used to be that that was fairly stupid practice as it hamstrung the higher
level protocols - there's a lot more to ICMP than ECHO, or at least there
used to be.

Blocking ICMP 3 and 11 will break things, especially in Japan with PPPOE being ubiquitous.

ICMP 4 (source quench) isn't strictly required but certainly makes you a good neighbour.

Brett