Re: [tlug] Ping vs www server

On 4/17/08, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:

> Yes, I do. I consider turning off ICMP a good tradeoff, because being
>  able to ping my box offers me very little utility (especially since I
>  am behind several NATs, courtesy of my ISP), whilst opening a tiny
>  attack vector that is, as you note, very unlikely to be compromised.

It used to be that that was fairly stupid practice as it hamstrung the higher
level protocols - there's a lot more to ICMP than ECHO, or at least there
used to be.  It also used to be the case that running an open email relay
was considered a friendly thing to do.  Times change :-(.

Given all the "fun" stuff that's out there now, it's kind of stupid not to be
paranoid, so I don't blame you.

-sb