Re: [tlug] NEWBIE: My Way and NOT Their Way?

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
 > find something, that has <gasp> examples.

Induction from examples is way overrated as a way to figure out wha
the spec actually is.
It certainly can be. I have just re-re-re-installed Debian Etch and find that the C++ command structure for untarring works but all of the regular subsequent commands don't.

./configure
make
make install

go nowhere, and i am suddenly lost at sea. I didn't have to produce my own makefile in the previous installs and configure was in the path. Either I did something wrong or I failed to install one or more key C++ development packages ... or both. Good thing it's pissing down rain or I'd be upset about missing the good weather. Back when I learned Cobol and Jovial there were never more than 256 possible ways to screw up any individual command but some days I find myself trying to recite the entire list of ways to fix a particular screw up in Debian and find I can't complete the list.
Debian distros are quite fragile unless you're a dpkg/apt/whatever
developer. If you do whatever is considered the thing to do, you'll
be OK, and there's usually a lot of flexibility, too.
I seem to have found some of the limits ...

I think you (ie, "CL") personally would in fact be happier with a
ports-style distribution like Gentoo.
The first thing I'd have to learn is whether the name is "Gen-too," "Jen-too," or "Zhahn-too." I feel better about being completely ignorant if I can at least properly say the name of the thing I am ignorant of.

--
CL