Re: [tlug] Fuse is cool

On 4/17/08, Tapio Peltonen <tappel@example.com> wrote:

> Well, I do not intend to participate in a flamewar, but at least the
>  embedded folks do care about running software with limited resources.
>
>  And emacs is not for everyone: The fact that vi is used as much as it is
>  used suggests that a demand exists for a text editor that does not try
>  to be an OS.

emacs -vs- vi is like so 20th Century.  And that's *not* what I'm referring to.
As far as I'm concerned, vi is just another tool to be used when convenient.
And to drive the point home, I *often* used vi (the True vi - nvi) to
perform quick
edits in the last minutes of preparing an XEmacs source tree for internet
distribution.

I'm talking about more recent and far less engineered GUI editors and other
pig applications like Firefox, etc.

I also never said it was for everyone.  It's been evident to anyone with half
a brain for quite a long time now, emacs (by comparison) is *not* a system
resource pig any more.  Icky GUI stuffs more than take over that title now.

>  The fact that vi is used as much as it is used suggests that a demand exists
>  for a text editor that does not try to be an OS.

First reaction:  Bring it on.

Second reaction:  Let's face it.  As a percentage of editor users
worldwide, if you
combine emacs+vi usage, multiply it by any convenient fudge factor you'll get
a usage of just around 0%.  The days when an alt.religion.emacs could exist
and be meaningful are long gone.

-sb