Re: [tlug] The Great Mistake is thinking OOo is different [was: Why Vista Sucks]

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:05:23 +0900
"Nguyen Vu Hung" <vuhung16plus+shape@example.com> wrote:

> I wrote my papers in Latex because I can't get the Math formula
> displayed as I wanted with MS Word. But it took me a lot of time to learn Latex.

Same here, unlike it didn't take me that long. I got basic
latex working within an hour (Lyx helped a lot), formulas
was a piece of cake (getting them looking exactly how i want
within another hour). Only graphics still don't work exactly
as i want, although Aplevich Circuit Macros framework and dpic
helped a lot (but i'm working on that issue)

> Now I am an engineer and everyone in my company uses MS Word (me too).
> Because it is *productive* ( means: easy to get the job done, and
> everyones has MS Word installed ).

I'm an engineer too, and i hate to use word. If i just have
to write text, it's as fast as latex (both same speed), but
if i have to really write documents i'm a lot slower because
simple things like a sane TOC or easy to place captions are
not straigh forward at all and fail more often than they work
right. Not to talk about all the issues that arise because
formating elements (font , font size and stile changes for example)
are not visible at all until you type something (and then it's
hard to fix).

I'd wish i could use latex instead (even thoug it's not the best
solution either)

				Attila Kinali

                         -- Deed of Morred