Re: [tlug] NEWBIE: My Way and NOT Their Way?

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:48:04AM -0500, Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 April 2008 06:00, Scott Robbins wrote:

> >Also, I suspect Josh is spoiled by using Gentoo.  Perhaps because its
> >creator, Daniel Robbins, worked with FreeBSD, Gentoo raised the bar
> > when it came to documentation. Remember, Gentoo's docs are the
> > exception in Linux, not the rule.
>
> I don't use Gentoo, but i really appreciate their documentation. When
> Googling to figure out problems with Red Hat or Debian i'm always happy
> when i see a link to a Gentoo forum or wiki on the exact same problem
> i'm having, even if some of the minor details are different because it
> was for a different distribution.
>
> The only project i can quickly think of with better documentation is
> OpenBSD. I've not used FreeBSD, but OpenBSD has the policy of treating
> problems in the documentation with the same seriousness as bugs in the
> code.

FreeBSD is similar to Open, in considering the docs important and
putting them in a centralized place.  Another one is ArchLinux, which as
gotten an excellent wiki.

While some of the RH deployment guides are decent, they often seem to
assume that you're going to deploy the server with GUI tools, when most
admins I know don't put those gui tools on in the first place.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Oz: Sometimes when I'm sitting in class...you know, I'm not
thinking about class 'cause that would never happen... I think
about kissing you. And it's like everything stops, it's like,
freeze frame: Willow kissage.