Re: [tlug] NEWBIE: My Way and NOT Their Way?

Scott Robbins writes:

 > Of course this makes more sense when you're a CS grad, and a
 > knowledgeable one.

I wouldn't know about that CS stuff. ;-)

 > Also, I suspect Josh is spoiled by using Gentoo.  Perhaps because its
 > creator, Daniel Robbins, worked with FreeBSD, Gentoo raised the bar when
 > it came to documentation.

Not really.  The Portage docs are horrible.

 > find something, that has <gasp> examples.

Induction from examples is way overrated as a way to figure out wha
the spec actually is.

 > > Given the number of ways I have found to break Debian-based
 > > distros, I've thought it better to concentrate on getting those
 > > right before moving on to new horizons and wrecking them.

Debian distros are quite fragile unless you're a dpkg/apt/whatever
developer.  If you do whatever is considered the thing to do, you'll
be OK, and there's usually a lot of flexibility, too.  But heaven help
you if you're an upstream maintainer who needs to be distribution-
agnostic.

I think you (ie, "CL") personally would in fact be happier with a
ports-style distribution like Gentoo.