Re: [tlug] Firefox beta 3 (was: NEWBIE: My Way and NOT Their Way?)

On Tuesday 15 April 2008 02:26, Godwin Stewart wrote:
>I have a gigabyte of RAM in this crate. I'm not worried about FF using
> 10% of that even if it does seem an inordinate amount at first sight.

I *wish* Firefox only used 10% of 1 GB...

Here's my work machine, which has 1 GB RAM. Firefox has been running for
about 25 hours:

24205 dramaley  15   0  315m 132m  30m R    0 13.1   8:54.40 firefox-bin

And my home machine where it has been running for a bit longer:

 4244 dramaley  20   0  750m 310m  27m R   11  4.3   1348:01 firefox-bin

I'm not sure which number is the actual memory usage, but 750 MB seems
like quite a large number. Of course, that machine has loads of memory,
but still, i'll probably restart firefox very soon since i've noticed
it gets kind of sluggish when it gets that bloated. And once it starts
getting sluggish, if i don't restart it manually it will force the
issue by dying of its own volition. I should probably restart it for
other reasons anyway; that machine isn't being actively used at the
moment (i logged in remotely to get the memory stats), so Firefox
should be consuming 0% CPU. Probably one of the extensions ran away
again. Or maybe it was javascript that went wild. I don't know; i just
hope 3.0 fixes some of the memory and stability problems.