Re: [tlug] NEWBIE: My Way and NOT Their Way?

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 05:52:35PM +0900, CL wrote:
> Josh Glover wrote:
> >On 15/04/2008, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
> >
> >>This RTFM stuff isn't always the way to get the fastest results.
> >>

> >It is if you take the longer view: learning to help yourself means you
> >can help yourself. ;)

Of course this makes more sense when you're a CS grad, and a
knowledgeable one.  Linux docs tend to be execrable.

Also, I suspect Josh is spoiled by using Gentoo.  Perhaps because its
creator, Daniel Robbins, worked with FreeBSD, Gentoo raised the bar when
it came to documentation.  (Most distributions continue to walk under it
though.) :)  Josh, you're probably considering a situation where you can
go to their centralized doc section and find something, that has <gasp>
examples.  Remember, Gentoo's docs are the exception in Linux, not the
rule.

> I have enough Gallic angst in my life so I stay away from Gentoo.  It's better
> for both of us that way.  Given the number of ways I have found to break
> Debian-based distros, I've thought it better to concentrate on getting those
> right before moving on to new horizons and wrecking them.

Always a good idea. The trouble with any different distribution is that
you spend too much time learning ${Gentoo|Fedora|Debian|*BSD} (which
isn't a distro of course) rather than Unix/Linux.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Angel: I've been around death before. A lot. I've lost
people. I've killed people...
Cordelia: And you are dead.