Re: [tlug] Firefox beta 3 (was: NEWBIE: My Way and NOT Their Way?)

On Apr 15, 2008, at 10:51 AM, Wayne wrote:

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 09:36 +0900, Josh Glover wrote:

3.0 runs like a dream. You may have to port some of your favourite addons forward for now, but it should be as simple as changing the version line and rebuilding.

I tried the latest Swiftfox and the font rendering is &^^&* awful
compared to Swiftfox/Firefox 2.... I tried all kinds of combinations but
couldn't get it to look as good as it does now.

Wayne,

If you can let us know what you don't like, we can try to address your concerns.

For Firefox 3 we've switched to the open surce Cairo library and Thebes for most of our graphics and font rendering. Previously, in FF1.5 and FF2, Cairo was used for rendering SVG but that library is being leveraged much more significantly for FF3.

http://cairographics.org/

One of our graphics experts, Vladimir Vukićević, has a post on the specifics of the Cairo and Thebes implementations if you want more detail.

http://blog.vlad1.com/2007/12/11/graphics-in-mozilla/

Vlad explains that Thebes has given FF3 better text support for ligatures, kerning, better handling of double-byte complex scripts, and a number of other text-handling benefits.

Chris Blizzard has a post from earlier this January about some of the many updates to FF3 for Linux.

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=325

If you can file bugs on the problems with font rendering, it would help us a lot. There's a number of folks who work full-time on fonts and gfx rendering and care a lot about how we are rendering, so the more feedback you can provide, the better FF3 will be.

Sincerely,

Gen

- - -
gen at kanai dot net