Re: [tlug] NEWBIE: My Way and NOT Their Way?

Daniel A. Ramaley wrote:
I've also never had trouble installing add-ons, with the possible exception that getting Flash installed on a 64-bit machine required some extra packages to deal with a 64-bit browser running a 32-bit plug-in. Debian's package management has a small number of extensions available directly, but i just install most of the ones i use in my ~/.mozilla profile using Iceweasel itself.
All of your assertions are true and my regular version of Firefox is also 2.0.0.13. However, Iceweasel has some very curious setup problems that I can't overcome and would prefer to just find out where Iceweasel is hijacking the Firefox ID so I can move on. One of the first issues I encounter trying to use Iceweasel (about two minutes into my own customization process, as a matter of fact) is that you can't download add-ons or themes unless they are in *.xpi format. If the file comes as *.jar, you cannot download to the desktop and pick it up there. I've never experienced this problem in any other OS.

There is a particular Theme I prefer as it exactly accommodates all of my Toolbar Folder bookmarks on one line and allows me to combine all other toolbars into a single line. Despite having Tabs turned on, it yields a significant amount of vertical real estate. Iceweasel can't install it because it comes as a *.jar and, for some reason I am unable to access it's previous versions in Iceweasel to see if one of them are *.xpi. I'm on the verge of booting into Kubuntu and Gmailing the file to myself, but I'd like to try and solve the problem within the OS I am working in and exhaust all possibilities there first, just to prove that I am learning the quirks of the OS.

Iceweasel has a number of add-on programs included as standard, such as Ad Block, but I get weird or broken implementation of the standard parameters I prefer to use when Iceweasel "handles" (sic) it. Same for NoScript. Since I was able to port all of my Thunderbird and Firefox settings directly from WIN XP to Kubuntu and Xandros, I do not think the problem is me or Firefox.

--
CL