Re: [tlug] Kernel/device/FS boot problem

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 17:08:55 +0900, "Josh Glover" <jmglov@example.com>
said:
> >   VFS: Cannot open root device "sda6" or unknown-block(0,0)
> >   Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
> >   partitions: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs
> >   on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> Do you have SCSI compiled into the kernel?

Yeah... I'm pretty sure I do.  Here's the "broken" kernel":

  # grep -i scsi .config | grep -v '^#'
  CONFIG_SCSI=y
  CONFIG_SCSI_DMA=y
  CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y
  CONFIG_SCSI_WAIT_SCAN=m
  CONFIG_SCSI_LOWLEVEL=y

and here's one that works:

  # grep -i scsi .config | grep -v '^#'
  CONFIG_SCSI=y
  CONFIG_SCSI_DMA=y
  CONFIG_SCSI_NETLINK=y
  CONFIG_SCSI_WAIT_SCAN=m
  CONFIG_SCSI_SPI_ATTRS=y
  CONFIG_SCSI_FC_ATTRS=y
  CONFIG_SCSI_LOWLEVEL=y
  CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX=y
  CONFIG_SCSI_AIC79XX=y

I'm not sure what the various extra stuff means in the latter, but
it doesn't "seem" like it oughta break things this badly :-)

There's a flag in both called CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI that looks
like it might be important, but it is turned off in both.

Thanks,
Dave