Re: [tlug] The Great Mistake is thinking OOo is different [was: Why Vista Sucks]

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:29 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen@example.com> wrote:
> Dave Brown writes:
>
>   > ODF (a zip file full of insane XML) is, for all that it's crazy, still a
>   > great improvement over standard MS Office format.
>
>  Well, no.  It's still a bucket of binary sludge that you can't operate
>  on sensibly with text-processing tools.  (And lest we forget, the
>  standard MS Office format is now OOXML, which is <gasp /> a zip file
>  full of insane XML.  Do we really want to be justifying that?)

MS Office prior to 2007 does not support OOXML, i.e. it only supports
binary format.

XML-ZIP is a good format IMO. We work with them easier because all
we have to do is uncompress and parse the XML files.

>  WYSIWYG is not a solution, it is the problem,
I don't think so. It is revolution and one of the solution.
The fact is that this solution is best or good depends on your point of views.

I wrote my papers in Latex because I can't get the Math formula
displayed as I wanted with MS Word. But it took me a lot of time to learn Latex.

Now I am an engineer and everyone in my company uses MS Word (me too).
Because it is *productive* ( means: easy to get the job done, and
everyones has MS Word installed ).

--
Best Regards,
Nguyen Hung Vu ( Nguyễn Vũ Hưng )