Re: [tlug] Ping vs www server

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 01:40:46AM +0900, Brian Chandler wrote:
> Not really linux, but...

Well, it's basic networking, so...

> I can't access the web server at www.tenyo.co.jp but I can ping it, and
> get lists of those "64 bytes from..." message things. So what does this
> mean? What does ping actually tell me?
>
> Oh, if I try wget, I get "80... failed: Connection refused." Hmm, wozzat?

This means that it's online but that the web server is down.  Ping just
tests physical connectivity, that is, if a machine is connected to a
network.  The 80 refers to port 80.  That's the standard port for a web
server to use to listen for connections.

For example, you can ping www.google.com, you can browse it in a web
browser or telnet to it on port 80.  However, you can't just ftp
google.com and get an ftp server, because they aren't running one for
the public.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: So. You saw their faces, but you can't describe
them.
Spike: Well, they were human. Two eyes each, kind of in the middle.