[tlug] The Great Mistake is thinking OOo is different [was: Why Vista Sucks]

Dave Brown writes:

 > ODF (a zip file full of insane XML) is, for all that it's crazy, still a
 > great improvement over standard MS Office format.

Well, no.  It's still a bucket of binary sludge that you can't operate
on sensibly with text-processing tools.  (And lest we forget, the
standard MS Office format is now OOXML, which is <gasp /> a zip file
full of insane XML.  Do we really want to be justifying that?)

WYSIWYG is not a solution, it is the problem, and until we get around
to realizing that very few of us are competent to design fonts,
styles, or layout (14-year-old girls who dot their i's with hearts
excepted, of course, the exception that nails down the lid on the
coffin), we're going to have to live with that crap.