Re: [tlug] Re: Why Vista Sucks

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
scott writes:

 > This made me laugh out loud. I agree- I never thought Word was all that
 > user friendly anyway after using word perfect during my formative years
 > (remember that software?). Also, is word the most popular editor?

You're missing the point.  Word is the most popular editor because it
works well enough more comprehensively than any other product, not
because it's the best at anything it does.

Agreed. Being a WordPerfect user since 1987,

Word is an abomination of common sense that makes use of absolutely senseless commands and processes. It still cannot do simple things that WP has done since v.4.0 for DOS. If you ever want to see a programming nightmare, pull a Word file into WP and hit the Reveal Codes
command. The means it uses to adjust type spacing, line leading, kerning, and other simple typesetting functions defy description.

Word only became "popular" (sic) because MS deliberately broke WP (and other word processors') ability to work with their OS; it caused earlier WIN versions to send spurious error messages to users of non-Word word processing products saying that their word processing software was non-WIN compliant, required the bundling of Word software with WIN OS by PC makers, and offered it free to large users.

This has been the finding of every court which has heard the Novel (previous WP owner) vs. MS case, right up to the US Supreme Court. MS did not win a single round of the battle. Unfortunately, the ruling comes about 15 years too late to be of any use to the industry.

> Not saying that it isn't, but in Japan, everyone was using that
> incomprehensible ichitaro forever,

Every bilingual body who had a choice stopped using ichitaro as soon
as a Japanese-capable Word was released on a Windows that didn't need
double booting.  I doubt that any other country has anything similar
to Ichitaro.

A subsidiary of Marubeni -- I forget the name (Media ... something) -- tried to use that importer's superior bribe giving ability to get J-GOV (Monbu-sugoku-bakka-shou and Wairou-shou [sorry, Kensetsu-shou], in particular) to adopt a Japanese language version of WP Office without success. There have only been two; one for WIN 95 and another for WIN 98) around 2000. I have the latter and am installing an Innotek Virtual Box for XP-J just so I can keep using it. But, it is also easier to use than OOo in Japanese mode as you can do most major formatting on the fly without removing your hands from the keyboard.

 > reason Word got so popular was because of the success of Windows 95 and
 > 98 in the workplace at the expense of lotus and those other
 > alternatives, not necessarily because it is in itself better software.

?? That's basically the point, but don't you mean Office, not
Windows?

No. Not at all. Several Federal, Federal District and the US Supreme Court all disagree with the statement, finding instead that it was connected to nothing other than unfair business practices.

-- CL