Re: [tlug] Building a Linux machine

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Joe Rodrigue <joe.rodrigue@example.com> wrote:
> 1.  I would prefer to order a pre-configured semi-custom machine.
> Does anyone know of a source in Japan like http://www.swt.com/ that
> sells Debian systems?  I cannot seem to find one.

I don't think you would find one.

I recommend IBM workstation[1]. Redhat is officially supported. CentOS
is not but
2.6 kernel will detect all of its drivers.

> 2.  I may have to simply build the thing myself.  Any suggestions
> for hardware for a basic machine, suppliers, or pointers to people
> who like to talk about this?  I am trying to come in under Y100,000.
> I am in Sakai (near Osaka) if that makes a difference.  Thanks.

Tsukumo offers customized 組み立て[2]. You can choose what you want.

And take a look at otto's pcserver shop[3].
They have new and used workstations with reasonable price.
# Otto *officically* supports CentOS

[1] http://www-06.ibm.com/jp/products/workstations/
[2] http://www.tsukumo.co.jp/winpc/
[3] http://www.pcserver1.jp/