Re: [tlug] Blog: Ubuntu = Linux / Linux = Ubuntu

CL wrote:
As a newbie who can make WIN dance and sing at times then Linux sits and stares at its shoes (case in point: CJK input), I found the following blogger's sentiments interesting. He argues that Ubuntu is becoming the generic form of Linux and that it is a Good Thing (tm) and one which may eventually save the OS from itself. As a marketer, I have long believed that Linux suffers from too many choices and too many ways to do the same thing and it is good to find one community setting a standard. http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1641&tag=nl.e550

What made you move from windows? I think the author of that article missed the Redhat = Linux / Linux = Redhat phase. While this kind of thinking can make it frustrating talking to newbies, if it makes things conceptually easier for them, great. The major move for a newbie is going to be from Windows, after that any other Linux or even other UNIX becomes significantly easier.

Edward